Sunday 1 July 2012

Nuances of Norway

I thought it might be fun to do a series on the cultural differences I encounter. So many times now I have been really shocked (usually in a good way!) by some ways of life here- I thought it would be fun to document them.

The "sharp intake of breath"- at my interview, I was giving a ten minute presentation and every few minutes a man on the panel would inhale sharply as if, to my mind, he was about to say something. I would stop my presentation and look at him expectantly for a few seconds, decide he wasn't going to say anything and then continue. This happened a few times until I decided to just ignore him! Turns out this is a popular way of agreeing with a point, saying "okay" or generally being the norwegian version of the "uh huh". Lot's of people do it and it's quite difficult to get used to.

Forspillet- I was out with some new friends one evening, enjoying some drinks, when a girl asked me if I wanted to come to foreplay at her house the following Saturday. I was a bit gobsmacked and had no idea how to respond when a fellow Brit jumped in and saved me, all the while crying with laughter. Forspillet is used to mean "pre-drinks/party", where you congregate at someones house and have a few drinks before going out to a club. However the literal translation of "forspillet" is "foreplay"!

Hot alcoholic drinks- it's pretty normal to drink irish coffee with whisky or baileys, or this horrific mint liquor I forget the name of with hot water as a tea at said forspillet. I am not used to drinking hot alcohol at this sort of social gathering. Christmas- yes. After a nice meal out- sure. Pre-drinks!? I'm not sure I'll get used to that one.

Eating lunch at 11am- just what it says on the tin. I got used to this remarkably quickly, I am starving by 10:30.

Saying it's an hour later then it actually is- e.g. It's 20:30 when it's actually 19:30- I don't fully understand this one yet, I just know it's not accidental. I'll get back to you!

Cake Friday- if it's your week and you forget, there are serious consequences!

Office hours- many people, including myself, work 08:00 to 16:00- it's great because you get the full evening to yourself. Last Thursday, making the most of the good weather, I was climbing till 23:00!


That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there will be many more as the days go by!

No comments:

Post a Comment